Sunday, October 23, 2005

Viareggio the island of Giglio and my family

These are my parents, my babbo (tuscan for father) and my mamma (mom)



And this is an old picture of the port of Viareggio, beautiful boats, weren't they?





Another old picture from Viareggio (1931). It must have been a beautiful place to go on holiday!



Here you can see how close the mountains are as well. Beautiful hiking tracks and great skiing in the winter!



Another view of the old port. Viareggio has two ports now. The commercial one for medium and big fishermen's boats and a marina with beautiful yachts.

While my mother's side of the family is from Viareggio and the surrounding area (Lucca?), my father's side is from an island just off the southern coast of Tuscany.
Following are some pictures of the "Isola del giglio" (the name has nothing to do with the flower "giglio" and everything to do with the greek word for goats :) ).



This is one of the two little towns on the island, "Giglio Porto" and it's the first thing one sees upon arriving with the ferry from "Porto Santo Stefano" (45 min trip).



This is one of the many little beaches and coves that one can reach by boat or hiking along the rocky shoreline among beautifully smelling "ginestra" (ginster?).

This is an old picture that I dag out off the internet. I think it portrais the beach of "Giglio Campese".




And here is a map of this small island.